PROBATION REFORM AND IMPLEMENTATION TEAM (PRIT)
TEMPORARY ENTITY (6–9 MONTHS)
Defines the Structure of the Probation Oversight Commission (POC) and a Blueprint for Reform.
Transforms the Probation Commission (PC) to the Probation Oversight Commission.
Synthesizes/Prioritizes Existing Recommendations to Reform the Probation Department.
Drafts a Plan for Reform to be Reflected in the Probation Department’s Strategic Plan.
- Draft Board policy reflecting POC’s independence and draft ordinances that define POC’s oversight authority
- Develop a Mission Statement for the POC
- Expand oversight of current Probation Commission to include adults
- Develop structure of POC mirroring the Sheriff’s Civilian Oversight Commission
- Provide the POC with access to information, a vehicle to conduct investigations, and a mechanism to conduct facilities inspection
- Require the POC to operate in a transparent manner by embracing robust community engagement
- Develop guidelines for qualifications of POC Commissioners, staff and other appointees
- Draft agreements between Office of Inspector General (OIG), Probation Department, and POC
PROBATION OVERSIGHT COMMISSION (POC)
PERMANENT INDEPENDENT OVERSIGHT ENTITY
Ensures Transparency and Public Accountability of the Probation Department.
Provides Active Oversight/Monitoring.
Secures Robust Community Engagement.
- Ensure reform efforts are initiated and institutionalized throughout the Probation Department
- Provide periodic reports on status of reform to the Board and Community
- Make recommendations to the Board and advise the Probation Department on operational policies/procedures and systemic issues in service delivery or outcomes for juveniles and adults
- Request information from the Probation Department regarding issues which the POC monitors for the Board
- Direct the OIG to conduct investigations and supervise/evaluate all work performed by the OIG for the POC
- Serve as liaison and mediator between Probation Department and community
- Ensure public access to information and engage the community meaningfully, including hosting town halls and forums
- Provide a forum for submission of complaints by residents/stakeholders